The Fly Girl 10
The Fly Girl 10 CHAPTER 3 Be Careful What You Ask For - Dreams Do Come True Finally, on January 17, 1971, my acceptance letter came, saying that Delta Airlines wanted me as a stewardess and I was to report to their training center in Atlanta, Georgia on February 1. I have to say that I had barely heard of Delta. The only airlines I’d heard of were the bigger ones based in the north, while back then, Delta was a regional southern airline. I also had no idea of exactly what would await me as a stewardess. I figured that we’d learn more about the planes, but pretty much all I knew was that stewardesses walked up and down the aisle and served food. I never even thought that it would be my life-long career; like most flight attendants, I saw it as, at most, something I’d do for a few years. Off I dashed to training for four weeks to become that glamour lady in the sky. Locally, this was big news—I even got my name and picture in the paper. The first hint I got at how rigorous it would be came with that acceptance letter. It said that we’d be paying for our own uniforms, which would come out of our otherwise generous paychecks, and suggested that we bring approximately $150.00 in traveler’s checks to cover our uniform, laundry, hair styling, gloves, and other miscellaneous expenses during our training process. Gloves were on the way out, but Delta was hanging onto the tradition that respectable women wore gloves. It also suggested an alarm clock, which definitely came in handy. I was mailed a “pass” (form used by airline employees for traveling) and was advised to travel early because flights became heavier later in the day. Some things don’t change. Training would begin at 8:00pm on Sunday evening at the Training Center, where we’d meet the other 31 trainees and Delta representatives as well as our Stewardess Trainee Supervisor, Mary Lou Rouse, then in her 40s. The closing of the letter stated they looked forward to “welcoming you into the Delta Family.”

web designer: Herbert Henderson